Rakesh Chaturvedi, working as Deputy General Manager Fire Services/HSE with Essar Steel India Ltd (EStIL), Surat, Gujarat has 19 years of work experience in fire safety and has won a number of awards. What sets him apart is his innovative contribution of establishing an incident command system for life safety. Look at some of his achievements and ingenious ideas, successfully executed with the help of his Team Fire:
- He initiated the Fire Prevention Week which was followed as Health Safety Environment Week, held every month at various plants of the company for a year in 2012-13. They not only provided training to the employees but also significantly reduced fire incidents and production loss due to fire incidents. In fact, EStIL became the first in Indian industry to win the prestigious Fire Safety Award 2013 from Association of Building Engineers, UK.
- Developed a fire preventive awareness programme for National Fire Service Week 2013.
- Developed a 24×7 Auxiliary Fire Squad by training 40 security officers and 28 safety coordinators to support the fire team during an emergency.
- Trained over 15,000 people including working women in fire prevention, first aid firefighting and emergency preparedness in just three years (2012-14) under his leadership.
- Designed and developed a 50 sq m Fire Technology Park for simulated advance rescue and live firefighting training at EStIL’s Hazira facility.
- Designed a unique Incident Command System Training Programme and trained 28 plant engineers for it.