The Calcutta High Court, established on 1 July, 1862, under the High Courts Act, 1861, is the oldest high court in India. It has jurisdiction over West Bengal, and the union territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Its building was designed by British architect Walter Granville, who worked in India during Victorian times and based the structure on the Cloth Hall at Ypres in Belgium. The seat of the high court is Kolkata. It also has a permanent circuit bench in Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Niobar Islands. It has a sanctioned strength of 72 judges. Jyotirmay Bhattacharya is its current serving chief justice.