Smt. Maya Singh, Hon’ble Cabinet Minister, Urban Development & Housing, Govt. of Madhya Pradesh, attended the dedication ceremony at Government High School Amroul, Madhya Pradesh
- SRF Foundation, the implementing partner, helped to revitalize facilities
- 8 schools have been revitalised in and around Gwalior as part of SMS. A total of 17 schools have been revitalised with SRF Foundation in Madhya Pradesh
- 1000 schools to be revitalized under the campaign before 2017
Amroul, Madhya Pradesh, 1st June, 2017:
The attendees during the ceremony included Mrs. Shubha Sekhar, Director and Head CSR & Sustainability,
“If we talk about the education system in our country, the major challenge which we face currently is the lack of basic amenities like toilets, access to water and basic infrastructure which creates an unwelcoming and unconducive environment in government schools. This leads to high rates of absenteeism, which results in children dropping out of school especially girl child. I am happy and thankful to
Dr. Y. Suresh Reddy, Director, SRF Foundation added, “It has been a great experience partnering with
Mrs. Shubha Sekhar, Director and Head- CSR & Sustainability,
Support My School is a WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) initiative that aims to improve basic amenities in government schools like separate toilets for boys and girls and access to water. The Schools revitalized under the campaign have served as model schools in several districts and have led to enhanced community engagement and higher emphasis on attendance and enrolment. Support My School is on track on its journey of touching 1000 schools by 2017 under the initiative.
Overall as part of Support My School campaign, 29 schools have been revitalized in Madhya Pradesh along with different implementing partners including SRFF, till date which is positively impacting more than 8000 students.
About Support My School Campaign:
Coca-Cola India & NDTV launched Support My School in association with the UN-Habitat, Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) in 2011. It undertakes the following activities:
- Provision of improved access to water
- Appropriate sanitation facility for girls and boys
- Improvement in the overall school infrastructure and environment
- Provision for sports and recreational facilities and
- Recharging groundwater through rainwater harvesting
With such necessary amenities in place, schools are able to provide a cleaner and healthier environment more conducive to learning.